Have you ever had a strapless bra that slid down or didn’t hold you up? If the answer is yes don’t worry, you’re not alone.
A strapless bras are an essential part of every woman’s wardrobe. This isn’t something that you should just buy on a whim.
We’ll cover what you should look for when buying a strapless bra so that you never have to worry about it slipping down again.
What are strapless bras?
Just like the name implies, a strapless bra is a bra without straps. Convertible bras have straps that can be removed and made into a strapless style.
A strapless bra can be worn with just about anything making it extremely versatile.
Size matters with strapless bras.
When it comes buying a strapless bra, it's best not to guess your size. As many as 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size and don’t even know it! Since there aren’t any straps to hold it up, the correct strapless bra band size is crucial.
Believe it or not, the band of your bra is what’s responsible for holding your breasts up. The straps are just playing a supporting role. If your band is too big your strapless bra won’t stay in place and it will slip or shift.
This is uncomfortable and can cause you to have to constantly adjust throughout the day.
If your band is too tight it can cause pain and create unnecessary bulges; not great if you’re aiming for a smooth silhouette.
The best thing to do is to have yourself measured or measure yourself at home to make sure that you’re buying a strapless bra in the correct size.
- Grab a fabric tape measure and wrap it around your chest under your arms and go around the top of your bust. This is your band measurement.
- Measure around your chest again but this time measure across the fullest part of your bust.
- Plug your measurements into our bra size calculator to get your Glamorise bra size.
Key elements of a good quality plus size strapless bra.
- Make sure that the band has some silicone on the inside so that it doesn’t slip. Since it sticks lightly to the skin it will help to hold the band in place. No one wants to be dancing the night away only to have to shimmy the band back into place every other song!
- Make sure that the band is thick enough on your strapless bra. You want it to be thick enough to support you without creating bulges, especially for women with heavy breasts.
- The cups should not create spillage. Depending on how they’re cut, you may need to go up a size if you’re spilling out. You don’t want gaps though. The best thing to do is try on the bra and move around in it to see how the cups fit and feel. Try different styles and see what kinds fit you best. You may want something that feels barely there and is more of a bandeau style, or you may want molded cups.
- Comfortable boning on the sides. Boning in the band helps to support and helps to maintain the bra’s structure. It should be padded for comfort.
Tips for making strapless bras more comfortable to wear
- Don’t use baby powder or lotion on your torso before putting on your strapless bra. You want there to be some friction to help and hold it in place. Lotion and powder will just make it more prone to slipping, especially in warmer weather, or if you’re going to work up a sweat.
- Wear your strapless bra a couple of times before wearing it out. This gives you a chance to make sure that it fits the way you want it to, especially if it’s going to be worn for a special occasion.
- Bend and scoop. When you put your bra on, bend over and with one hand scoop your breast into each cup. You want as much of your breast tissue front and center as possible.
- Take care of it. A high-quality strapless bra is an investment and should be treated like one. Don’t just throw it into the machine and call it a day! Hand wash and let it air dry. If it has molded cups, lay it flat so that the cups are facing up and smooth out any dents. If you can’t hand wash your strapless bra, place it in a lingerie bag and wash on the gentle or delicate cycle.
Wearing a strapless bra doesn’t have to be an occasion to dread. Use our tips to find the perfect strapless bra for you, and get ready to pull out those shoulder-baring tops and dresses.
Summer is almost here so it’s a great time to add a strapless bra to your collection if you haven’t already.
You can buy strapless bras from Glamorise here.
- Help Prevent Sagging: What are the Best Bras for Large Saggy Breasts?
- Do Large Breasts Really Cause Back Pain?
- Saggy Boobs Got You Down? The Right Bra Will Lift You Up.
- Different Cup Sizes? Best Bras for Uneven Breast
- 7 Best Wireless Support Bras for Large Breasts: Tips for Finding the Perfect Bra for You
- Bra Sizes Explained
Lift, Shape, and Support With Comfort and Style