Sagging breasts. It’s something that no woman likes to think about but it’s a reality for so many.
Some women are genetically predisposed to saggy or drooping breasts. For some it’s something that they’ve always dealt with, for others, it’s something that will happen over time.
Aside from genetic predisposition, some women will experience sagging breasts because of extreme weight loss or several other causes. Here’s more information about sagging breasts and our top picks for bras that will help lift you up.
What causes breast tissue to sag?
In the medical field, sagging breasts are known as breast ptosis. This is caused by ligaments in the breasts, called Cooper’s ligaments, losing their elasticity.
This can be caused by:
- Larger breast size- the heavier the breast the more gravity pulls on the skin and ligaments
- Rapid breast development
- Aging (the most common cause due to the natural loss of elasticity in the skin)
- Deficiencies in collagen or estrogen
- Smoking-increases the rate at which the skin ages
- High BMI
- Rapid changes in weight (loss followed by gain or vice versa)
- Multiple pregnancies
There are things that are attributed to causing breasts to sag that are in fact myths. This includes wearing or not wearing a bra and breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding itself doesn’t cause the breast to sag; the hormonal changes that cause the milk ducts to swell during pregnancy can lead to sagging.
Things that you can do to prevent sagging.
Unfortunately, nothing will stop the effects of time completely. Following are a few things that you can do to slow things down:
- Eat a healthy diet. Making sure to eat antioxidant-rich foods can help keep skin healthy and maintain elasticity.
- Don’t lose or gain weight too quickly. They say slow and steady wins the race! Losing weight too fast can not only affect your metabolism but it doesn’t give your skin enough time to retract.
- Wear sunscreen. By now we all know the dangers of sun exposure. Free radicals in the UV rays of the sun break down the skin’s elastic fibers. Loss of elasticity = saggy breasts.
- Don’t smoke. We all know the dangers, and if health isn’t enough, it’s also terrible for your skin.
Can a bra help to prevent sagging?
While no bra can stop the inevitable, a bra that fits properly can help to reduce sagging. How? A bra that provides support can reduce breast motion.
This, in turn, reduces the amount of stretching and pulling on the ligaments and the tissue. It also helps to defy the effect that gravity has on the breasts.
The key here is to make sure that your bra fits you well. Studies have also shown that wearing a bra that’s too big or that doesn’t provide enough support can have a negative effect.
What’s the best bra for breasts that sag?
As we mentioned, the most important factor is fit. Your bra must fit you well in order to be effective and comfortable.
Make sure that the band is the right size as it does about 80% of the heavy lifting. Gravity constantly pulls at your bust and if your band is too loose it’s not going to support you and work against gravity.
Your band should be snug but not uncomfortably tight. See our Bra Fit Guide on how to find your perfect size for more information. Cup fit shouldn’t be overlooked either. If your cups are too big they’ll allow your breast to settle on the bottom as the tops of your breast tissue stretches.
Too small and your breast tissue will spill out on the top, sides, or both. This won’t contribute to sagging but looks unsightly and is extremely uncomfortable.
Bras that provide a comfortable lift.
Here are our top picks for beautiful bras that will give you the lift and support that you’re looking for.
- The MagicLift Minimizer Bra helps to keep you cool and comfortable while lifting and shaping. Thanks to its minimizing cups it reduces bounce and is perfect for everyday wear.
- The WonderWire Front-Closure Stretch Lace Bra is as supportive as it is beautiful! Perfect for lower necklines it has a secure front clasp and all-over stretch lace that’s breathable. Cushioned underwire adds another level of comfort.
- The WonderWire Front-Closure Bra is our best-selling front-closure style. The cushioned underwire lifts you without digging or poking, and extra-wide, padded straps adjust in the back.
Sagging breasts are just a part of life, whether you’re dealing with them now or will sometime in the future. The most important thing to do is to try and stay healthy and embrace the body that you have now.
No matter what your breasts look like, there’s no need to be embarrassed or uncomfortable! Love your body and while you’re at it, find a bra that makes you feel as wonderful as you are.
Lift, Shape, and Support With Comfort and Style