Yes, being a woman is awesome, but you know what’s not awesome? Having your breasts painfully bounce and move while taking a simple jog around the block.
To make matters worse, the only way to stop it is to cram your breast in some contraption that feels like a vice on your chest.
Right? Wrong - sports bras have come a long way, my friend! Gone are the days of exercise misery! Here are the best sports bras for large breasts that won’t leave you feeling suffocated.
Why do breasts bounce anyway?
Before we get into the best bras, let’s take a look at why the bouncing happens in the first place. Not only is the bouncing uncomfortable, but it can also hinder your performance and cause pain in other areas of the body, like the back or neck.
For those that don’t know, breasts can weigh a lot. The average D cup pair of breasts can weigh 4 or 5 pounds! Depending on your size you could be lugging several extra pounds around on the front of your chest!
That’s enough weight to pull your torso forward while walking or running. While no bra can reduce the amount that your breasts weigh, a good one can keep that weight from pulling you forward.
The amount that your breasts bounce depend on how much breast tissue you have and the elasticity of your skin.
We lose elasticity as we age and if we don’t give our breasts enough support. The more you bounce, the less elasticity you’ll have over time.
How much do breasts bounce?
Deirdre McGhee, Ph.D., a researcher with Breast Research Australia at the University of Wollongong, did a study to see just how much breasts bounce while running.
McGhee found that the average 38D moves about five inches from top to bottom during running. Studies have also shown that breasts don’t just move up and down but also side to side.
Think of a figure 8 pattern. You can imagine the damage that bouncing like that can do to the ligaments and the skin.
Choosing a sports bra
When choosing a sports bra for large breasts it’s important to think of the following:
- Breast size: the larger your breasts the more bounce control you’ll want, regardless of activity type
- Bra size: proper fit in a sports bra is crucial to provide adequate support and to reduce chafing.
- Band: a good sports bra should have a thick elastic band. Bonus points for an adjustable hook-and-eye closure. Make sure that it fits properly on the last hook so that you can adjust it as it stretches.
- Straps: wide, cushioned straps are ideal for heavy breasts so that they don’t dig into your shoulders.
- Wire: a cushioned underwire will give extra support. Make sure that it sits on your rib cage underneath your breasts, not on top of them.
- Cups: encapsulated cups are best for support and limiting movement. They also prevent the uni-boob look which went out of style long ago.
How should a sports bra fit?
This is the most important part. It doesn’t do you any good to choose the best sports bra on the market if it doesn’t fit correctly.
Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Start by making sure the band is the right size. It’s going to do most of the work. It should be snug but not uncomfortably tight. Make sure that it’s parallel to the ground all the way around. You should be able to fit 2 fingers underneath, but no more.
- Adjust the straps. Again, two fingers underneath are all that you should be able to fit. Don’t make the straps too tight though or they’ll dig into your shoulders.
- Check the cups. Your breast tissue should be fully contained within each cup. Make sure that it’s not spilling out and also that you don’t have any gaps If there’s spillage you need a bigger cup size. Gaping means that you need something smaller.
Now that we’ve gone over what to look for in a sports bra, let’s take a look at some of the best.
Max Out High Support Underwire Sports Bra
First up is the Max Out High Support Underwire Sports Bra. Perfect for any activity. Designed with a cushioned underwire so comfortable you won’t even know it’s there. Also with High Bounce Control, double-layer, non-stretch cups, and moisture-wicking fabric to keep you cool.
No Limits High Support Underwire Sports Bra
Next is the No Limits High Support Underwire Sports Bra. It also has cushioned underwire for extra support, double-layer cups to contain your breasts securely and minimize bounce, non-slip adjustable back straps. It also has an adjustable and extra-padded back hook-and-eye closure.
Total Control Custom Support Sports Bra
The Total Control Custom Support Sports Bra will take you from yoga to CrossFit and everything in between! It has four levels of adjustable bounce control, quick-drying fabric to keep you cool and two-way backstretch to keep your straps from slipping.
Don’t let heavy breasts get in the way of your fitness goals! Bravissimo surveyed 1500 women with a cup size D and above and 60% honestly admitted that at some point in their lives they felt that they couldn’t take part in exercise or sport because of their boobs.
If you have a great sports bra, there’s no need to sit on the sidelines! Grab a supportive sports bra, or three, and get out there. No matter what activity you choose to do, keep your body moving!
Lift, Shape, and Support With Comfort and Style