If you’re someone who tends to close your bra in the front and spin it around, or if you just want to stop having to reach behind your back, there’s a solution. Enter the front-closure bra.
Front-closure bras fasten in the center of your chest, making them much easier to put on and take off than the classic back-closure bras. This can be a huge plus for someone who struggles to reach their back or has any kind of arm or shoulder mobility issues. With a front-closure bra, you won’t have to struggle with reaching behind your back or turning your bra around to fasten it. The smooth, wide back that a front-closure bra has can also help smooth out the back and eliminate any rolls and dents that a traditional back-closing bra can create.
How do front-closure bras work?
Depending on the style, front-closure bras either have a hook-and-eye closure just like back closure bras, or a single plastic or metal clasp. Make sure you buy a quality bra with a secure clasp to avoid any wardrobe malfunctions.
Why do most bras hook in the back?
Bras that hook in the back may seem like something that could’ve only been invented by someone who never had to wear one, but there is a practical reason for them. Back hooks allow for multiple columns of hook-and-eyes which allow you to adjust your bra tighter as they stretch out with wear and washing.
For this reason, we recommend that when you buy a new bra to make sure it fits snugly on the loosest set of hooks. If you wear your bra on the tightest hook from the start, you won’t be able to adjust it to your fit as it inevitably stretches out over time.
Here is how front-closure bras compare to back closure bras.
How do you wear a front-closure bra?
One of the best things about a front-closure bra is how easy it is to put on. Simply slip your arms through the straps and position the closure in the center of your chest, then snap or hook it into place.
If your front-close bra has a hook-and-eye closure, secure each hook starting at either the top or bottom, whatever is most comfortable for you. For a single clasp closure, slide the pin into the opposite side and snap closed.
After slipping into your bra, bend forward a bit to make sure that your breasts are properly positioned in the cups, and check the back of your bra and make sure that the band is even and lays flat against your body.
Also, check that the straps are tight enough but not so tight that they dig into your shoulders or start to pull the back of your bra higher.
How do you take off a front-closure bra?
Unhook or undo the clasp in the front and remove the straps one at a time, then slip it off like you would a jacket. Try not to stretch the bra any more than necessary to help extend the life of your bra.
Why are front-closure bras good for large breasts?
There are many benefits of wearing front-closure bras for women with large breasts. Here are a few of the top benefits of a front-closure bra:
- They create a smooth look under tight-fitting clothing. Front hook bras are great for creating a smooth back. Not having the bumps from traditional hook-and-eye closures in the back lends to a more figure-flattering look.
- They have low necklines. Bras that close in the front generally have lower necklines, and are great for wearing with lower-cut tops.
- They are incredibly convenient. These bras are easy to put on and easy to take off. For people with mobility issues of any kind, this is a huge plus and avoids any added strain.
- There are many styles to choose from. With lace, racerback, T-shirt, posture support, or casual leisure styles, front-closure bras are incredibly versatile.
- They can show off cleavage. Certain front-closure bras with a snap clasp typically bring the breasts closer together and are lower-cut to create a sexy look.
Are there wire-free front-closure bras?
Yes, you can find just about any style bra with a front closure. Many women prefer wire-free bras because they provide comfortable shaping and support without an underwire. Here are some of the reasons why wire-free front-closure bras are a great choice:
- They’re easy to put on. Again, with a front-closure bra, there’s no need to reach around your back to fasten it.
- They’re comfortable. Most women will agree that a wireless bra is more comfortable than a wired one. If you’ve ever had a wire pop out of the lining or break and poke you, you know how uncomfortable, and sometimes painful, that can be. With a wireless bra, there’s no worry that a stray wire will break accidentally or poke you in the underarms, which sounds like a win-win to us!
- They can be great for lounging around or sleeping. If you’re someone who prefers to wear a bra even when relaxing at home, a wire-free front-closure is the way to go. Without the closure in the back, there are no uncomfortable bulges to lay on.
How to choose the right front-closure bra?
When choosing a front closure bra, think about the level of support that you’d like.
Front closures that use hook-and-eyes tend to offer more support and coverage than those that close with a single clasp, and also generally have 2 columns of hook-and-eyes so you can adjust to your desired fit. Also, think about whether or not you want an underwire. With an underwire front-closure bra, you won’t have the option to adjust the fit of the band.
The 5 best front-closure bras
Whatever style you prefer, here are our best front-closure bra recommendations:
- MagicLift Front-Close Support Bra
- Front-Close T-Back WonderWire Bra
- WonderWire Front-Close Bra
- Front-Close Cotton T-Back Comfort Bra
- Bramour® Brooklyn Bra
Review: 4.5/5 Stars
The MagicLift Front-Close Support Bra features hook-and-eye closures with multiple settings, padded straps for added comfort, and comfortable shape, lift and support thanks to the wire-free design.
Review: 4.7/5 Stars
The Front-Close T-Back WonderWire Bra uses an easy to reach clasp instead of hook-and-eye closures and is great to wear with tops with low necklines. The cushioned underwire gives both comfort and support, while the T-style back prevents straps from slipping off the shoulders.
Review: 4.7/5 Stars
The WonderWire Front-Close Bra also features an easy to reach front clasp. It has wide, cushioned straps and moisture-wicking fabric to keep you dry and comfortable all day long.
Review: 4.5/5 Stars
If comfort is the first thing on your list, check out the Front-Close Cotton T-Back Comfort Bra. Instead of molded cups, it features self-adjusting stretch cups made from a soft cotton fabric. It also features a front hook-and-eye closure and a breathable lace T-back.
Review: 4.7/5 Stars
For a look that’s undeniably sexy, look no further than the Bramour® Brooklyn Bra. Specially made for sizes starting at 40C, this bra has a secure metal front clasp and a beautiful floral lace design.
For comfort, ease, and versatility every woman should have at least one front-closure bra in their collection. With many styles to choose from, there are front-closure styles for every woman looking for a comfortable and stylish bra. Browse our complete Front-Closure Collection to find your new favorite front-closure bra.